- Winner of the Isabel Sissons Canadian Children's Story Award
- Shortlisted for the Kirkus Prize 2014 (Young Reader's Literature)
- Nominated for the 2014 Rainforest of Reading Award
- Listed as "One of the Best Picture Books of 2014" - Kirkus Review
- "100 Magnificent Children's Books 2014" ( Picture book ages 2-6), Schools Library Journal
- On New York Public Library's "100 Titles for Reading and Sharing"
Anna fetches water from the spring every day but she
can't manage to carry it on her head like her older brothers and
sisters. Set in the Caribbean, this irresistibly rhythmic and poetic
tale evokes the power of sheer will and the joy of mastery, as Anna
overcomes her fear.
Sometimes when our children outgrow books, we give
them away, but Anna Carries Water is a keeper, to be handed down
through the generations.
ANN-MARGARET LIM IN THE JAMAICA OBSERVER
Beautifully illustrated, printed, and written, author Olive Senior and
illustrator Laura James together have tapped into a story instantly understandable
to a child from any culture in this wide world in which we live.
SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL
New York artist Laura James's stunning illustrations, which include detailed backgrounds
complete with vibrant birds, animals, and plants, capture the beauty and the colour of the
Jamaican landscape, as well as the warmth of Anna's family.
QUILL & QUIRE
Each illustration is an acrylic painting, whose images are infused with intoxicating colors.
All readers will be drawn into the world of Anna as she struggles
to overcome her fear and reach her goal.